Student Technology Leadership Program
2014 PLD STLP Officers
Seargent at Arms--Hunter Bargo
Student Rep--Flor Mucino
What is STLP?
I'm Will Oldham, a graduate of PLD and former co-president of STLP (Student Technology Leadership Program). STLP is a fantastic group that I've been a member of since freshman year. I would say you could boil STLP down into 4 things we either do or teach:
1) Meetings - Meetings typically last no longer than 4:30 every Friday, and involve announcements, requests for help from Mr. Adams, the IT guru at PLD, among other tasks. Sometimes these meetings will involve food! Mr. Adams will bring snacks and pizza, and we will have a party. As well, work meetings are something that can happen maybe once a month, where we stay a little longer to complete a task like re-outfitting a lab's computers. Don't know how? No problem! That's aim number two!
2) Teaching - First and foremost is getting practical experience. We handle everything from faulty hardrives, to school wide internet lapses. The aim is to reach out to our local school community and do the most we can for them. Not only do we teach our members basics of hardware handling and networking, we also have a program called Techiepalooza ("techie" being the term we affectionately call ourselves). During this, we hold classes for middle schoolers, just for fun, and for recruitment for high school.
3) Competition - This part isn't only fun, it's great for resumes. Every year we will attend 2-3 competitions where individuals may compete, and the group as a whole presents a "showcase" or the project that we undertake for that year at both the regional and state level.
4) Our Project - Each year, we undertake a main project of sorts to complete. My freshman year, we did RDD, or reducing the digital divide, where we re-outfitted old computers, and sent them into the community. Last year was Techiepalooza for the first time! Our main project won't be the only thing we do during a year, just something we can take to showcase.
I don't know if I've made this clear yet, but we truly do strive to aim our efforts to community service through a leadership in technology kind of way. I would say more than anything thats the true goal of the club. And of course, it's just a load of fun!
As far as other resources are concerned, here are some links:
State STLP website: http://education.ky.gov/districts/tech/stlp/Pages/Student-Technology-Leadership-Program-(STLP).aspx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/230884666953202/ or search Dunbar STLP (it should have approximately 35 members.)
If you have any questions, you can talk to Mrs. Overstreet or Mr. Adams.
The Mission of the Student Technology Leadership Program (STLP) is to advance the individual capabilities of students; to motivate all students; and to create leadership opportunities through the use of technology.
The STLP will develop activities which enhance the academic, social, and emotional growth of the student.
The STLP will provide leadership opportunities for all students.
The STLP will form learning partnerships between secondary (middle and high) and elementary students.
The STLP will form learning partnerships between students with different technology skills.
The STLP will develop activities which benefit the communities the school serves.
The STLP will develop activities which benefit the school and support KETS.
About this page
- Author: Kim Overstreet
- Updated: Tuesday, February 03, 2015