Principal: Betsy Rains
Associate Principals: Tony Blackman, Nancy Hill, Andrea Tinsley
Administrative Deans: Liz Pelphrey and Tonya Merritt
Behavior Specialist: Erin Adcock
Secretaries: Ellen Fore, Jamie Cheak, Kathy Ginn
Bookkeeper: Diana Rolph
Attendance Clerks: JoAnn Boyd and Laura Adams Phone (859) 381-3552 Fax (859) 381-4975
Counselors: Deanna Smith (Head Counselor), Kelly Krusich, Melissa Long, Antonio Melton, Kristin Studle, Derrick Thomas(859) 381-3554
Registrar: Carole Humkey
Guidance Secretaries: Jessica Gibson and Judy Drury
Social Worker: Steve Duerson
Psychologists: Mackenzie Leachman and Courtney Bishop
College and Career Secretary: Judy Drury
Librarian: Summer Perry (859) 381-3546, ext. 2003
Cafeteria Manager: Kelly Herriford (859) 381-3561
Our Mission Statement:
"Dunbar High School’s faculty and staff, in partnership with parents and community members, empower students to achieve high standards for academics, integrity, leadership, and citizenship."
Paul Laurence Dunbar High School
Click the PLD Lamplighter logo on the left to access Dunbar's student news media site.
PLD had two players make it to Elite 8 and were named to the KHSAA All State Tennis team. Matt Halpin and Bryce Shelton. Coach Jonathan Thompson was named region coach of the year. Rosie Halpin also made it to the top 16 in Girls.
Summer Camp Opportunities
The following PLD student teams and organizations will be offering summer camp opportunites. See the attached flyers for more information.
Important Graduation Information!!
- Dunbar graduation will take place at 4 PM on Friday, May 27th at Rupp Arena.
- Parent help is needed to provide the senior breakfast after graduation practice on Thursday, May 26th. Sign up here.
- You must have a cap and gown in order to walk at graduation. If you have ordered yours and do not have it, call Jostens at 277-7384.
- All fees must be paid and books returned before May 26th. Students who owe fees will be called out at graduation rehearsal.
- Seniors and parents please read this Important information to know for Graduation!
- Rupp Arena's security has changed. Please read these guidelines for Rupp Arena before attending graduation.
- Make sure to look for all the great photos from the graduation ceremony captured by GradImages. You will receive an email when your photos are ready to view and order or check www.gradimages.com.
- To purchase a DVD of the graduation ceremony please see this Order Form.
12th Annual Dunbar Golf Scramble
Sunday, June 12
Entry Fee: $90 per player / $360 per team
Email Coach Martin for information and registration
Summer Credit Opportunities
Information about Summer School, E-School, and Health can be found here.
PLD Credit Recovery Summer School (PLATO):
MAKE UP CREDIT ONLY. PLATO is a computer-based curriculum that can be accessed from any computer with internet capabilities. Students must complete all coursework and then take a computer-generated final exam. Students may work at home on PLATO or may attend a two-week summer school session at PLD. By attending summer school for PLATO, students receive approximately 30 hours of dedicated work time on school computers with some teacher assistance. There will be two sessions of summer school - AM and PM - for two weeks. Students who remain focused and work diligently can often earn 1/2 credit in a two-week period, but this is not guaranteed. Students who do not finish a course may continue to work at home from any computer with internet access until the course is complete. Time management for completion will be the responsibility of the students and parents. Students who complete the course after summer school must take their final exam in the counseling office by appointment only after August 1st. The details of summer school sessions are below:
Two week period: June 13 - June 24
Two sessions during this two week period:
1st session: 8:30 AM - 11:30 AM
2nd session: 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM
FCPS (school bus) transportation is NOT provided.
Lunch is NOT provided.
NO CHARGE! PLATO summer school is free!
Students must sign up in the counseling office.
- See more at :http://blogs.fcps.net/pldguidance/summer-school/
For a parent to make phone number and/or email change requests in Parent Portal:
- Log into Parent Portal on a desktop or laptop computer. Parents will be unable to make changes through the Campus Portal App.
- Under Family, cilck Family Members.
- Click Update on the appropriate family member.
- Make changes as needed.
- Click Send Update.
- The request will be sent to IAKSS. Requests will be monitored at IAKSS Monday through friday, 9 AM to 5 PM. Our goal is to have all requests approved or denied withing 48 hours.
Parents and students who have questions concerning Parchment, please read below...
Several mistakes are being made when creating accounts that prevents Parchment from matching the transcript requests with what we send to Parchment. The following mistakes have been the most common mistakes and are taking time to be resolved:
- Using a nickname instead of your real name.
- Misspelled student names
- Parents completing the requests and using parent's information like birth year instead of the student's info.
These mistakes can be prevented by using the registration code that was given to the students (once by hard copy and sent twice to their student email).
If you have requested a transcript via Parchment rest assured that the transcript will be delivered. If you have not yet requested your final transcript, please use the registration code to create your Parchment account and complete your request ASAP!
Leave the original info about Parchment as well as the Parchment button.
Accountability Testing Information:
*The Lamplighter website is not directly controlled by PLD nor FCPS. We are not responsible for the content/advertising.
OneDrive setup directions (video)
Follow PLD Guidance on Facebook!
PLD Guidance on Twitter
2016-2017 Course Directory
Click here to access more scheduling information for the 2016-17 school year.
College Visits at PLD
Attention School Volunteers! Please know that all school volunteers must apply through the FCPS on-line application.
PLD Alumni (off site)
In the event of weather delays, see the information here.
Channel 13's Video on demand